Are you looking for fun, kid-friendly activities in Albuquerque? Coming up in October is one of the biggest events in the area: the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. This year’s fiesta is October 2-10 and it’s expected to be the best one yet. Purchase tickets now! Thursday, October 7 is Kids Day.
About the Balloon Fiesta
You won’t likely see this many hot air balloons in one place again in your life. And when they all lift off and go up into the sky together, it's a breathtaking sight. Crisp October mornings are the best time of year to experience this event. Clear skies and the Sandia Mountains in the background create the perfect scenery for the bright colors and unique shapes of the balloons to stand out.
List of Events
There are many different events that take place over the 9 day fiesta, including:
- Dawn Patrol Show. This is the early show before the sun comes up with balloons lit up brightly against the dark sky.
- Krispy Kreme Morning Glow. The Krispy Kreme Donut balloon is always a fan favorite.
- Chainsaw Carving. There is a chainsaw carving exhibition followed by a carving auction.
- America’s Gas Challenge. This is a distance race for balloons to see who can travel the furthest.
- Skydiving. A special skydiving show by Team Fastrax is always an exciting event.
- Fireworks Show. Each evening ends with a fireworks and laser show.
- Special Shape Rodeo. This event premiers on Thursday, October 7 for Kids Day. Kids love to see familiar cartoon characters and other fun-shaped balloons.
- Photo Contest. Throughout the fiesta be sure to take photos for the photo contest.
- Remote Control Balloons. Some balloons can be operated by remote control, which is demonstrated at this event.
- Fiesta of Wheels Car Show. See some impressive cars of all makes, models, and years at the car show.
Some of the events are on specific days and others take place each day of the event. Check out the schedule of events to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Fiesta Food and Drinks
In addition to all of the above events, there’s plenty of delicious food and drink to enjoy at the Balloon Fiesta. You’ll find nationally recognized food chains represented as well as local cuisine from around the world. There is always a strong presence of Mexican food and other Central and South American inspired foods and drinks, which is just one of the reasons why this event is dubbed a fiesta.
Where to Stay
Local hotels, motels, and inns offer special rates during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta if you’re in town to attend. Here’s your guide to local accommodations. Don’t wait too long to book your stay because these venues fill up fast due to this highly popular event.
ABQ Pediatric Dentistry Recommends This Event
If you’re new to the area and looking for fun events the whole family can attend, we at ABQ Pediatric Dentistry highly recommend the International Balloon Fiesta. ABQ Pediatric Dentistry serves Albuquerque and the surrounding area, providing quality dental care for children.
Children should go to the dentist for their first evaluation by their first birthday or within 6 months of getting their first tooth. They should then have regular dental cleanings and exams every 6 months going forward to maintain healthy teeth and gums. If you’re in need of a dentist in Albuquerque, ABQ Pediatric Dentistry is currently accepting new patients.